Ryan Lochte dishes on Vegas party with Prince Harry

Who needs Michael Phelps? Prince Harry is all the swimming competition Ryan Lochte needs.

On TODAY Thursday, Lochte told Matt Lauer that Harry challenged him to a race in a nightclub pool last Friday, and the Olympian accepted.

Lochte had never met the prince until the royal's entourage approached him that night.

"His people came over to my table and said, 'Prince Harry wants to meet you,'" he said. "I was like, 'Lets meet him.' I went over there. I was fully clothed, and he says, 'You want to race me in the pool?' I took off my shirt, jumped in and we started racing."

Lochte enjoyed his brush with royalty, which began and ended with their impromptu race.

“He’s part of the royal family and everything, but he’s really a nice guy,’’ Lochte said. “He’s really talkative. He just wanted to meet me and honestly wanted to race me. I thought that was the coolest thing.’’

Only hours later, all of the prince’s clothes came off in a now-infamous strip-billiards incident that took place in a hotel suite. Lochte did not get the invite to play strip billiards with the prince and his friends.

“He never said anything like that,’’ Lochte said. “After our race and everything, we went our separate ways. I’m kind of happy. I don’t need that.’’

Nightclub swims notwithstanding, Lochte, 28, said that these three weeks out of the water have been his longest break from the pool since he was 10 years old.

“After racing Prince Harry, I got that competitive edge back in me and I want to get back in the water,’’ Lochte cracked.

After celebrating his birthday and dabbling in acting on '90210,' Lochte is ready to start gearing up for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. He said he will get back to training on Monday.

“Once I landed back in the States after London, I already had my goals in mind for Rio,’’ he said. “They’re a little different now. I can’t spill everything.’’

Lochte did let it slip that he will not be swimming the same events as he did in London, where he won two golds, two silvers and a bronze to bring his career total to 11 medals.

“Whenever I go up on the blocks, I don’t want to go for second or third, I want to win,’’ he said. “So I was definitely pleased and unpleased with some of my races, so hopefully I can change that in the next four years. I’m going to be swimming different events, that’s for sure. I’m getting older, my body’s getting older, so I can’t do those long events.’’

His outside interests in fashion, acting and other pursuits will not distract him from his training, Lochte said.

“Because of the training that I’ve been doing these past eight years, I have a good background, so I know that I’m able to do other things that I wasn’t able to do before so that leads to acting, doing who knows what,’’ he said. “The whole acting thing is definitely nerve-wracking. I can swim in front of 10,000 people, no problem, but acting, that’s a little hard.’’

More: Video: Prince Harry returns to London amid photo scandal
Lochte: 'I'm going another four years' to Rio games
Jeah! Lochte to guest star on '90210'

Jump to discussion page: 1 2

They failed to mention who won the race, Harry or Ryan?

Reply#29 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:09 PM EDT

How can I get invited to those parties?

Reply#30 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:25 PM EDT

Did Harry go commando?

Reply#31 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:33 PM EDT

that's because in billiards as in swimming....Prince Harry would be royally naked and Lochte would be still in all his clothes!

Reply#32 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:39 PM EDT

that was probably one hell of a race if they were swimming neked. you can never trust those Brits, they dont tell you they are coming out of the closet until it is to late

Reply#33 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:45 PM EDT

Wow! A lot of jealous people/boys/men on these posts. Like to see most of you accomplish what the prince has accomplished and/or what Ryan Lochte has accomplished.

What a bunch of dildos!

Reply#34 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:59 PM EDT

So, what I really want to know... Who won the race in the pool????

Reply#35 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:00 PM EDT

I am guessing Harry won. All that talk about more competitive stuff from Lochte is suspicious. I think that dude is a wuss and he was not as fast as Harry. That would make me take off my clothes as well.......hey.....celebrate !

#35.1 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:44 PM EDT

Oh look, another slow news day.

Reply#36 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:01 PM EDT

Prince Harry is HOT!!!!! Yum

Reply#37 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:02 PM EDT

Prince Harry can unwind in private, but it must be just that. He needs to read a little history of his great Aunt Margaret, and his mom and dad, and not let phones and photos near him while relaxed. He gets paid very well to be third in line to the throne of England and is in the spotlight at all times. He should shape up, or like King Edward step out of the line for the throne. He seems like a fun guy, but has control problems. If he can't do the job, I'm sure that he has enough cash for a very, very nice life.

Reply#38 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:03 PM EDT

Is anyone tired of Ryan Lochte? I know I am.

Reply#39 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:05 PM EDT

The shelf-life on Ryan Lochte is very brief. Time for this irritation to start going away - Jeah?

Reply#40 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:26 PM EDT

Yes Deb, me too. He should just shut up cuz he sounds very dumb when he talks and just looks like he's dumb.

Reply#41 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 PM EDT

I guess the prince is a better swimmer than a pool player :)

Reply#42 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:33 PM EDT

All this entitlement stuff because I am heir to a monarchy does sway he at all, had that been me and he sent some one over other than him self, I would have said go screw your self, other than that he seems innocent
                          enough to me. if you're not man enough to ask your self than go eat a scone

Besides what even more bizarre is he gets caught with his pants down, and please don't tell me that he wasn't in on it , and yet he can't walk over and ask Lochte him self..

Reply#43 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:37 PM EDT

Both men are in their 20's and acting like a morons is in a 20 year olds nature. Harry the horny Prince just follows the foot steps of Charles the horny Prince. It's sad that this group are considered the protecters of the prodistant faith. What bothers me more is how unguarded the young man is. For this to happen to this young men there SS or Secret Service screwed the pooch on this on. The world should just be happy the young Prince wasn't taken and used as leverage against the Crown of England by radical Islam.

Reply#44 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:38 PM EDT

Kevin...chill out. If you were any more uptight you wouldn't be able to pull a needle out your ass with a tractor. They are not acting like morons...what they did is completely harmless and all in good fun.

#44.1 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:57 PM EDT

LOL. He really got a good ribbing there at the end!

Reply#45 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:54 PM EDT

Big deal ! who says what goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas ? if the royals are so stressed over Harry taking off his clothes, they should have made sure no one in that room had a cell phone. What's a bodyguard for ? that's his job. My guess is that Harry is a better and faster swimmer than Lochte....just a hunch. Go Harry ! don't worry, you are fine, clothes or no clothes.

Reply#46 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:41 PM EDT

Why are we still reading about this???? Enough is enough aready, give it a rest, it is not news worthy any way. So many more interesting things to read and talk about.

Reply#47 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:31 PM EDT

Is anyone else sick of seeing Ryan Lochte already? Good for him that he won gold, but his publicist needs to take a rest.

Reply#48 - Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 AM EDT