Agent: Gabby Douglas fielding several book offers

Emmanuel Dunand / AFP - Getty Images

Gabby Douglas, here on the podium on Aug. 2, is fielding offers to write a book.

She's the darling of Olympic gymnastics with her bright smile and gold medal. Now, Gabby Douglas has become a sought-after target for book publishers.

The 16-year-old, the first African-American woman to ever win the gold in the Olympic all-around competition, is currently fielding numerous book offers, according to her agent, Sheryl Shade.

“I have about five solid offers and at least 12 inquiries in total,’’ Shade told TODAY.com on Thursday. “I just haven’t had a chance to speak with them all. I think within the next week she will agree to do one.’’

People

Gabby's People magazine cover.

Shade has represented several gymnasts who have starred in the Olympics over the years, including special TODAY.com correspondent Shawn Johnson, who won gold in 2008 in Beijing. Shade has also worked with Shannon Miller, Paul Hamm and Dominique Moceanu, securing high-profile deals for a host of gymnasts.

Douglas has already secured an appearance on a special-edition Kellogg's Corn Flakes box and is featured on the cover of the latest issue of People magazine. She signed a deal with Procter & Gamble before the Olympics, and an Aug. 3 report by Forbes estimated Douglas will earn, at a minimum, between $2-3 million annually in endorsements over the next two years.

Douglas' potential book may focus on her faith. Three of the publishers who have approached Shade are from Christian imprints.

“They are asking for an inspirational autobiography,’’ Shade said. “You’re 16 years old you can’t have a big autobiography. Gabby is driven by quotes and inspirational passages that people send to her.’’

“I would love to put out a book," Douglas told TODAY.com. "My mom and I want to let people know about us and how we overcame hard times.”

She said she’d even like to cover her balance-beam fall at the 2011 Visa Championships, which she described as “horrific."

"I fell a thousand times. I want people to see that you can overcome,” she said. "I would tell my life story and make it not just about gymnastics.”

Nicknamed the “Flying Squirrel,’’ Douglas has broad appeal for the youth market with her story of hard work, sacrifice and achievement at such a young age.

Douglas says the biggest challenge will be those first few words. “Where do I start? Does my mom start, do I start?" she said. "She will be part of the process.”

More: Missy Franklin: Amateur status 'still the plan right now'
Gabby Douglas' gold worth millions in endorsement deals
Gabby Douglas' mom weighs in on hair controversy
Read all of TODAY.com's Olympics coverage here!
Gabby Douglas: Gold medals are made of 'sweat, blood and tears'
Video: Olympic gymnasts take celebratory London tour

If she's going to talk about her Christian faith in those books, she shouldn't be signing up with Procter and Gamble.

Reply#1 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 10:14 AM EDT

Nobody asked for your opinion or advice.

#1.1 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:47 PM EDT

@cm: I'm afraid you are wrong ---. When you write on this page, you are voicing your opinion and no one asks for it. That includes "your" opinion OR your "comments".

#1.2 - Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:21 PM EDT

Why shouldn't be signing with Proter & Gamble???

#1.3 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:20 PM EDT

Why not?

Reply#2 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 11:50 AM EDT

Bec P&G is anti-Christian, and if she's going to focus on her faith, she shouldn't have anything to do with them.

#2.1 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 12:35 PM EDT

Sam, don't spread lies. Just because Proctor & Gamble supports treating all people equally, does not make them "anti-Christian."

#2.2 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 12:43 PM EDT

Cameron Ford, don't spread lies. You know nothing about me, I've had personal associations at P&G and talk from first-hand experience. I didn't say anything about them not treating all equally, what are you talking about??

#2.3 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:21 PM EDT

The Proctor & Gamble thing is an urban myth. Something about the moon and amount of stars in their logo. I remember this from twenty years ago. I thought it had died already. I hope Gabby does well with this. I'm sure a lot of these olympic athletes are completely forgotten by the general public in a few years if they didn't bring home a medal.

#2.4 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:35 PM EDT

Going to be some task for the ghost writer. I doubt that any 16 year old has something to say that my grandkids want to hear or read. The usual formulaic work, hard, study hard, believe in god, etc.

Reply#3 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 11:51 AM EDT

A book offer?#@! Does anyone still buy books? Sheez, she could create a website to tell her story.

Give her better rewards for her remarkable accomplishment !!! How about a couple of lucrative endorsements?

Reply#4 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 12:07 PM EDT

You know Hohum, if more people would pick up a book to read, especially children, then the education of these little ones will improve instead of giving them hi tech toys!!

#4.1 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:25 PM EDT

Good News! I find her inspiring as will other people. People buy books, often for the millions of e-readers that have been sold. Her recent quotes, during interviews, have a nice ring to them.

Reply#5 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 12:22 PM EDT

An absolute waste of time - she has nothing worth sharing. Every word will be written for her. She should be back at school focusing on her studies because those gold medals will not carry her through life. Make it an e-book - don't waste one precious tree on this nonsense. 16 year old kids should be learning not preaching.

Reply#6 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 1:06 PM EDT

GeezString, maybe she is going back to school. And maybe she does something to say to her peers, Lord knows these kids needs someone to lift them up. Their hopes are being shattered everyday by ADULTS!! You go girl(Gabby) Just keep your priorities straight.

#6.1 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:32 PM EDT

Christians, make sure that we earn money from our non-Christians' friends . . . And Gabby can open up several lines: cosmatics, exercise suits/clothing, shoes/sneakers, jewelry.

Reply#7 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 1:33 PM EDT

...

Mama is salivating.

Speaking of mama, anyone see papa??

...

Reply#8 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:15 PM EDT

Another athlete shaking down the system for money. They are all greedy as hell and provide no role models for other kids. Also at 16 I doubt that she has much experience and much to say. After two pages of talking about many hours/day of practicing and getting better, what else is there?

Reply#9 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:18 PM EDT

Jerry, I'm sure they approached HER. Not the other way around. How is she not a role model? She will have kids wanting to learn gymnastics. Beats smoking cigarettes and drinking till you throw up. She's a more respected role model than some of the girls I've see with "singing" carreers.

#9.1 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:42 PM EDT

Jerry, are you jealous too? You too could show your talents and get paid for it. By the way, what are your talents-planting negatives toward your fellow Americans?

#9.2 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:37 PM EDT

While I admire her gymnastics accomplishment, I don't want to read her autobiography as she wouldn't have any wisdom compared to my age. Maybe a magazine article of her struggles will do fine but not a full size book of exaggeration. Besides, I was pretty disappointed in her last repeatively wobbly beam event and eventually fell in the individual rounds. I expected a gold medal performance to be much better than that.

Reply#10 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:44 PM EDT

Gen X CPA, have you ever heard of the saying"Out of the mouth of Babes?" God gives His wisdom to whom He knows will benefit.

#10.1 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:40 PM EDT

I hope book offers are made to the other great athletes who won medals at the olympics in London. We had some spectacular ones. Gabby was not the only one. The US really excelled in London and we can be proud of all of them--whether they brought home a medal or not. Congratulations to each and every one of them. With only a couple of exceptions, the US was represented by a lot of fine young olympians.

Reply#11 - Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:26 PM EDT

I cannot believe all the negative comments on this page. This young girl has accomplished something great...16 years old or not. We live in a society where Kim Kardashian and Snooki are considered role models. If she wants to write a book, let her write one. Its a free country. You don't have to read it. Others will read it though...black, white, hispanic, etc. She is a GREAT AMERICAN and this is a great story. Keep your head up, Gabby and don't let the haters deter you or your looks ever again. These people will always be on the wrong side of history.

Reply#12 - Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:43 PM EDT