Tearful Lolo Jones: Media 'ripped me to shreds' before race

Nursing a broken heart from a disappointing fourth-place finish in Tuesday’s 100-meter hurdles, an emotional Lolo Jones fired back at her critics on Wednesday.

Jones opened up about a Saturday New York Times piece that compared her to Anna Kournikova, the former tennis pro known more for her good looks than her accomplishments on the court.

“I think it was crazy just because it was two days before I competed, and then the fact that it was from a U.S. media,’’ Jones told Savannah Guthrie before fighting back tears. “They should be supporting our U.S. Olympic athletes and instead they just ripped me to shreds. I just thought that that was crazy because I worked six days a week, every day, for four years for a 12-second race and the fact that they just tore me apart, which is heartbreaking.

“They didn’t even do their research, calling me the Anna Kournikova of track. I have the American record. I am the American record holder indoors, I have two world indoor titles. Just because I don’t boast about these things, I don’t think I should be ripped apart by media. I laid it out there, fought hard for my country and it’s just a shame that I have to deal with so much backlash when I’m already so brokenhearted as it is.”

On Tuesday night, Jones tweeted that she had a “broken heart’' after missing an Olympic medal finish by one-tenth of a second. Her disappointment followed her performance in the 2008 Olympics, when she was leading the race and clipped the ninth of 10 hurdles to finish seventh. She took no solace that the Tuesday night race was the fastest one in Olympic history, with Australia’s Sally Pearson running an Olympic-record 12.35 seconds to edge American Dawn Harper by two-hundredths of a second to win.

“Definitely, I was crushed afterwards,’’ Jones said. “I know I had the best race of my season. Not the best race of my life, but I had the best race of my year, so I just try to look at that. It doesn’t take away from the pain that I was close to once again having a medal and not getting it.”

Jones tried to find the silver lining in reaching the Olympic finals after several setbacks in the past year.

“I think it’s disappointing in one extreme as in I didn’t get the medal, but in another extreme, a year ago I was having spinal cord surgery,’’ she said. “I mean if I look at that, spinal cord surgery, two hamstring injuries and you fought through all of that, so I take time to focus on that and not the negativity I’ve received.”

Jones has drawn criticism for her openness with the media about everything from her personal life to struggles with injuries. However, she hopes that her story will inspire others to overcome adversity.

“Putting your heart out there, obviously it opens you up to a lot of negativity, but at the same time if I could just reach somebody out there,’’ she said. “Maybe there’s a little girl who thinks she can be an Olympic athlete and she sees all the things I struggled through to get here. Yeah, I didn’t walk away with a medal or run away with a medal, but I think there’s lessons to be learned when you win and lessons to be learned when you lose.’’

Jump to discussion page: 1 2 3 ... 7

Why does the media insist on spending so much time talking about Lolo? I know why..because she looks like what they want the champion to look like. What about the two women who actually won medals...please ive them their props!

#1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 8:50 AM EDT
Comment author avatarmatterofopinionExpand Comment Comment collapsed by the community

"ive them their props"

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

#1.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:39 AM EDT

Lolo is a great gal. Never mind those other people. She is beautiful, 4th place is a non-issue. (LOL)

#1.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:41 AM EDT

How I hate the media. They bastardize everything they touch and cause contention for dollars. You only get the story they want you to hear because they not only want the dollars, but they want you to accept them as the only source of truth. The incident with Lolo is just the tip of the iceberg. For example: do you know why America fights so viciously over politics here at home?---Because the media get rich off of the contention. They have taken "freedom of the press"---and even "expression" and have turned it into a curse upon all of us.

#1.3 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:42 AM EDT

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

#1.4 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:25 AM EDT

I agree. It was a low blow by the media. Whoever did that insulting story along with the editor should be ashamed of themselves.

To Lolo: Hang in there! Hopefully you will be able to compete and win at the World Championship and perhaps another Olympics. Huge commitment, but I hope you do it.

As for staying a virgin until you are married, I, (and many men should) commend you for it. I would wait for you. It would be no problem. Those that wouldn't are losers anyway.

#1.5 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:29 AM EDT

It's what we all have come to expect from 'professional reporters'. One of the most overrated professions there is. Remember, these individuals don't actually 'do' anything...they talk and/or write about what OTHERS do.

Driving home from work Monday was an ESPN mental midget on the radio claiming an American vaulter "choked" when she couldnt stick her landing the previous night. I wonder if it makes him feel like more of a man making those comments about a teenage girl.

#1.6 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:41 AM EDT

Texson55 is spot on. Why does our liberal 'RAG" media always have to create and then report on the negative? I for one believe that the Positive is so much more inspiring. Where did the Moral Values of our people go?I understand just some of her pain and statements, because I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to train as hard has she has.

Please remember it is the NY Times and that should be enough for most normal people to understand the attack. When will American good people say enough is enough, and put these progessive, backward thinking, evil in their place and say " NO MORE" will we take your crap. We the people of a great American country say 'You Go Girl" , "You Go Lolo"

#1.7 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:44 AM EDT

Partially because of her looks and that she's been courting the media for years and recent weeks....it works both ways, good and bad. Might have been better to "no comment" and just work out and probably would have received at least a bronze medal to match that beautiful bronze tan she has. She is model material though and has several pictorial debuts ahead of her.

#1.8 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:49 AM EDT
Comment author avatarRobb Huntsmanvia FacebookExpand Comment Comment collapsed by the community

She should just get her cherry popped already and maybe she will pick up that extra .2 of a second to place. :)

#1.9 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 12:08 PM EDT

Lolo Jones: typical American - loud, self-important, attention-seeking narcissist. She's spent the last several weeks giving interviews, mouthing off about her love life, her virginity and other things totally unrelated to track and field, mugging for the camera and basically being an attention (rhymes with "more"). That shows a lack of focus and discipline which is so important in sport. Perhaps if she'd spent more time training and less time chasing the spotlight she just might have won a medal!

#1.10 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 12:20 PM EDT

hey Mable what are you jealous about

#1.11 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 12:46 PM EDT

I thought Lolo said she was going to zip it.

#1.12 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:15 PM EDT

bad67pontiac - Yeah, the liberal "rag" media, like when Fox news went on a big negative rage against Gabby Douglas for not being patriotic enough, because her costume wasn't patriotic enough? Oh, thats right, Fox is the right wing "rag" media. Yes, both sides do it. It is poison, because there are people out there who actually believe the nonsense that is spewed by these unethical reporters. Fox actually makes it their main format.

#1.13 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:17 PM EDT

Lolo darlin'...don't listen to our so-called media. They could care less about anything 'American' anymore-it seems. Anything to raise fear, tear down people or just pure nonsense...that's what our media has become. Don't buy into their b.s. You're still #1 in our hearts!

And for people like 'Mabel' above...she's just jealous because she's obviously butt-ugly and even though she didn't spell out "WHORE" she still thought it--and that's proof that beauty is skin deep, BUTT UGLY is TO THE BONE! lmao

#1.14 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:34 PM EDT

Lolo no one reads that stuff anyway. You seem like a great person. You are for sure a great athletic. Think of this same reporter that is critical of a Quarterback. I would say to him, can you play that position, Have you ever even play football at all. Or in your case, Ask him if he/she has ever ran track and ran the 100 meter hurtles. I would say he or she has not. Those that can, do. those that can not complain about those that can. They only feel good about themselves, by trying to make someone else look bad. Don't ever let the fact that you are a very good looking lady get in the way either.

#1.15 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:56 PM EDT

Mabel - typical anonymous, jealous American who never has and never will be an Olympian.

#1.16 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:57 PM EDT

Sad for this girl to finally find out about the leftist liberal media. They are like wolves, they lick your butt (especialty Obama's ), lick your face and if you get a scratch on you they will smell the blood and tear you apart. Do not believe a single word that comes out of their mouth, as a matter of fact when thye open their mouth a lie automaticly spews out. Congradulation's Lolo on your win.

#1.17 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 2:08 PM EDT

So...if I understand the supporters of the position that self-promotion is somehow worth of bashing and assassination of character, i.e. Mabel, then anyone who pursues any endeavor but comes fails to achieve it is deemed to be a failure worth of derision. Is this correct? Really? Only winners can speak for themselves and all others must seek the position of a mouse? It's not like the media doesn't seek out subjects only to put them on pedestals only to take them down after they've finished with them. It's not like we only want to consume the bold and the beautiful, not the ordinary achiever. For instance, Gabby D. has a perceived appearance flaw. She was a winner. But because of her "flaw" she must be discussed and dissected as if she is diseased, right? What makes the position of the basing and support of negative journalism an asinine proposition is that any effort to achieve should be applauded as the best example of human purpose. That’s what the Olympic ideal really is anyway, a celebration of human capability. When you realize that Lolo (in this case) achieve the level of accomplishment that only 3 other people in the world achieve better, why would you do anything but congratulate her. So, Mabel, unless you marched your stuff around the track on Opening Night, I contend that you should applaud the effort of Lolo and the others and wish them the best in their next endeavor. I applaud their accomplishment and take some shame your position. Shame on you!

#1.18 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 3:35 PM EDT

How old is this woman? 30? She's acting like a toddler having a tantrum.

This is not about the faults of the media, which there certainly are. This is about a whiny, self-absorbed woman who ran her mouth, and then tried to cry foul at the consequences.

REAL champions remain composed and show grace under fire. It is not that they are not subject to hurt feelings, frustration, negative emotions. They just don't trot them out before the whole world.

It's not hard to see why Lolo hasn't found the 'right' man. I'm sure she has met him many times and he had the sense to flee.

#1.19 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 8:15 PM EDT

As much as I hate how the media treats news, people, etc., they should not be used as an excuse for not performing at your absolute best. Bad move.

I will say that I don't think too much of the two young women, Harper and Wells, who did win. I think they were being catty and bitchy in their behavior towards Lolo. I do not think their conduct was becoming of medal winning Olympic athletes and feel they are diminished by what they said about Lolo. They should have reveled in their win/medals and not put down a member of their team. I have no respect for them at all.

#1.20 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 8:41 PM EDT

Seeking sympathy is pitiful, especially when the person herself insisted on allowing herself to be exalted leading up to the race, with the portrayal of a sure champion. Criticism is deserving when the person does not deliver: this is sports, and when one boasts oneself to be great, then obtains nothing, it is the person's own fault. We the spectators didn't do this, she did it.

Reply#2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:00 AM EDT

last - u are way off base. If you had worked as hard as she did you would be complaining loudly, like you're doing now.

#2.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:22 AM EDT

I agree with Belida4, she's not bashing us as spectators, but the media that created the circus. There is no other entity that is more blood-thirsty for power and persuasion, and none as narcissistic as the media.

Sorry to go on like this, but I'm seeing these whores of society everywhere----newsvine included....

#2.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:48 AM EDT

Last - Send me the link where SHE, "...boasts one to be great..."

(BTW: Have you ever considered using a spell checker?)

#2.3 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:50 AM EDT

Lastofall your an @!$%#, and I can also tell by your ugly comments that your a Liberal Democrat. Your so way off base with what is Normal and Kind. I pray that someday that you will have a soul to be saved, for right now your so .......... "lost".

#2.4 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:49 AM EDT

Bad67Pontiac, actually what Lastofall said is what a conservative Republican would say: "if you're going to mouth off make sure you've got the goods to back it up," "actions speak louder than words," "self-esteem is nothing without hard work," etc.

#2.5 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 12:24 PM EDT

bad67pontiac - it may surprise you to find out that many right wing conservatives are outrageously negative. Just look at yourself and your hateful remarks.

#2.6 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:20 PM EDT

Bad67pontiac I must demand you change your name. I had a bad 67 GTO and I am a liberal Dem. You do not deserve to have that name!!!!! Us Liberals are not the ones spreading the hate in this country. Its the Koch Tea party that does that. I truly wish the Tea Party wasn't hi-jacked by the Koch brothers. When they first started it was a grass roots movement. But as always in this country, when you have a good idle, someone takes it over and runs it into the ground. And that's to bad. We have to all wake up and understand that neither part has all the answers. And until we take the money gets taken out of our elections, we are screwed. Because we do not have a Representative government.

#2.7 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 2:08 PM EDT

@Bad67pontiac,

". . . .I pray that someday that you will have a soul to be saved, "

That was a joke, right? Or perhaps you are just another hypocritical fundamentalist?

"Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" [Ghandi]

#2.8 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 8:33 PM EDT

If you had worked as hard as she did you would be complaining loudly

Wrong. I would have never bothered with the NYT piece in the first place. Especially considering it was so close to the competition. The fact that she paid attention to outside distractions is proof that she's narcissistic enough to wonder what others are thinking about her all the time (rather than focusing on her actual profession).

Then, when I had lost, I would have been devastated, yes. But, I would have congratulated the winners and, when the media came to me asking about the derisive post in the NYT, having never read it, I would have said, 'I am unfamiliar with the piece, but I would like to congratulate my fellow teammates who won silver and bronze'.

But that's not what Lolo did. Oh, no. Instead of congratulating teammates, she perpetuated her narcissism by continuing to hog the spotlight.

...but the media that created the circus.

This is utterly laughable. As if the media, alone, is at fault. You are aware that Lolo helped create this very "circus", correct?

She never shied away from the media. She, in fact, encouraged it. She helped create her own hype. She willingly opened up private parts of her life for no other reason than to glorify her "struggle" in the media. And the media was all too willing to lap it up.

She cannot, therefore, complain about the media tearing her down when she is just as responsible for creating her own hype through the media. She had plenty of opportunities to just put her head down and work on her craft but, instead, couldn't relinquish the spotlight, couldn't turn down the sponsorships, couldn't resist opening her mouth any time there was a camera and a microphone.

I believe there's an adage about "what goes up" that is apropos to this situation. And with the way she's continued to use the media to slight her own teammates, her reputation within US Track and Field is probably very tarnished (but they won't say so publicly).

#2.9 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 12:11 AM EDT

LOL -oh!

Reply#3 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:05 AM EDT

Those girls (Dawn and Kelli) have their props. Congrats to the USA. However, Dawn, especially, was most unsportsmanlike during this whole process. She was quoted in that vicious NYTimes article about A TEAM MATE!! Dawn has the gold and silver, and she deserves her props, but she will never be as successful as Lolo because she also has the green medal - EXTREME JEALOUSY!

Reply#4 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:05 AM EDT

I'll give Dawn her props!! But if she wanted real & true props she should have won the gold, which would have erased that "she's only the olympic gold (Beijing) medalist becoz Lolo fell cloud" hanging over her head. She actually did not improve at all these games, she went backwards, Beijing - GOLD, London - SILVER!???! In other words she can never properly claim she's a true olympic champion. True she'll aways have that gold medal but she'll always know that everyone knows she never properly earned it. She was so contant with silver.

#4.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:30 AM EDT

I usually don't comment on boards like this because it feels like a waste of time, but after reading that comment of yours AnnVee, I have to respond. You're saying Dawn Harper can never claim she's a "proper" Olympic champion. That's bogus. You can't say just because Lolo Jones clipped a hurdle and lost that it means Dawn's effort isn't worthy of being considered "proper". What if Dawn had been leading, then clipped the hurdle and Lolo won? Would she still be a "proper" champion? It's a race, everyone starts from the same spot, at the same time, and they have the same amount of hurdles to clear. Dawn made it through clean and won the race, making her the "proper" champion. Lolo didn't, so she lost, that's her error. Peroid. You say "I'll give Dawn her props", but then literally the next thing you say rescinds that and list reasons why she's not a "proper" champion. You're obviously an irritated Lolo fan, but to say someone isn't deserving of the gold medal they earned on the world's largest stage because someone else made a mistake is just stupid.

#4.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:58 AM EDT

The media wanted to make this girl into their 'darling' for the Olympics and it didn't work out as planned for them, but even more so, not for her. And she did play to the media every single step of the way. Posing for photos anywhere at all...talking about her virginity...playing to the hype offered. I'd bet she had more visions of 'Wheaties' box covers as an adult than she had visions of sugar plums.

Anna Kournikova ??? Sorry there Lolo...you're in good shape and you can run, but let's not push too far.

Seems like this lady used the media to promote her future days and future net worth all she possibly could...and now she is pissy that the media isn't quite so interested anymore in anyone without a Gold Medal around his or her neck.

And the little dark haired "world champion" gymnast who fell on her butt and stepped out of bounds to lose her "pre-ordained" Gold Medal...I don't know that I've seen such a miserable looking young lady in a public situation. It seemed that she felt the 'Gold' belonged to her and her alone.

Highlight to me...and I have never watched a tennis match in my life...Roger Federer acting like an absolute gentleman after losiing the 'Gold' to the guy he just whipped at Wimbleton. He even said that he was ecstatic winning a "Silver"..and it looked like he meant it. My hat is off to Mr. Federer...he showed the absolute beauty of what is supposed to meant by the word "sportsmanship".

The little gymnast and the pissy hurdler should go home and watch the video coverage of Roger Federer. Maybe they can learn something.

#4.3 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 4:55 PM EDT

abc...

Agree completely. Several years ago in the NFL, a field goal kicker missed a field goal at the end of the game that would have won the Super Bowl had he made it successfully...did the winning team simply not win a "proper" victory ?

#4.4 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 4:58 PM EDT

Lolo, you are in Britain where athletes are "ripped to shreds" every single day in the press. Far worse than anything you would see in America.

But a world class athlete shouldn't allow this stuff to affect them. You are a beautiful woman and so was Anna Kournikova who was also an amazing athlete. I know because I once worked with her behind the scenes. She was #1 in the world as a junior but a multitude of factors kept her from winning at the highest level so she learned to use her beauty to out earn everyone else on the tour. She could have bulked up her muscularity to compete with the likes of the more muscular girls on tour but did not want to make that compromise. And it was a back injury that eventually ended her career.

Take advantage of your attributes and stop whining. If you believe in God believe that God made you beautiful and desirable. There seems to be some underlying problem with her that needs to be evaluated. Maybe too much Fox News? But even Fox clearly has zero issue with flaunting the female form.

Why did you ever bring up this virginity thing to begin with? Nobody forced that out of you. It is a bit strange for a woman your age. Sorry! Of course that was going to draw focus. There were three women who were simply better than you. Accept that!

Watch Limbaugh, O'Reilly and their ilk try to make this story today about lack of patriotism and religious persecution. Absolutely ridiculous!

Reply#5 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:08 AM EDT

Thought you might have had a point until you dragged politics into it at the very end.....and your comment then imploded. When will you political junkies ever learn?

#5.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:53 AM EDT

Voxrationis tries to be so intellectual in their comments, they even try to be witty.

It simply comes down to Lolo has values and this Voxrationis has NONE. By your own comments VOX you lose and Lolo still stands correct.

#5.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:57 AM EDT

I am so hurt! LOL(O)! And who made you judge and jury? Read your Bible!

#5.3 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 3:43 PM EDT

Tex...

I agree. Just had to drag Fox News into this...for whatever reason, I just don't know.

As was written..."Absolutely ridiculous".

#5.4 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 5:01 PM EDT

I think Texson watches Fox News. Those of his/her ilk gripe about the media louder than anyone yet listen to its most hateful, negative, incarnation of it as though receiving manna from heaven. Most FOX listeners I know rail against the media but believe everything they hear on FOX.

Lolo is a beautiful young woman, but she could have kept her mouth shut about her personal life. Though I admire her for what she wants to do, it's a hard enough thing to do without everyone hating on her for it. Hey, Lolo is STILL the 4th fastest woman in the world on the hurdles, HOW many of us can say that? Especially those who sit on their balding, fat backsides in front of the TV strewn with beer cans, pizza boxes, and fast food wrappers...

Still, I have seen her be more of a class act when she doesn't show like she wanted to. She actually was known for her classy behavior on and off the track. Though, I can understand her disappointment, she would have made herself look much better had she congratulated the other girls.

#5.5 - Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:24 PM EDT

Looks like Tim Tebow has a new crying partner!

Reply#6 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:10 AM EDT

Tim never cried about anything....

#6.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:19 AM EDT

Oh I beg to differ, Tim cried after him and his Florida Gators lost in the SEC championship game in 2009.

#6.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:28 AM EDT

Sure he has...he is human afterall. Stop trying to portray this guy as some Jesus figure (and we know Jesus wept). If he was such a person he would still be in the Phillipines working with the locals and wearing sackcloth. And I am not saying he is not a decent person.

#6.3 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:31 AM EDT

You people who want to bash Lolo, T-bow, and the rest who try to lives that are cleaner than the average social swill, aren't fooling anybody. I loath the term "haters", but it's written all over you.

And no....the media didn't do this (what was done to Lolo) to everyone....it's a rare thing to actually find "fair and balanced" in any realm of world-wide journalism anymore....

#6.4 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:58 AM EDT

Go back and read your own post. Like most who randomly attack others you spew your own brand of hate (who exactly is swill?).

How can you (or Lolo) blame her performance on the media. She is the fourth best in the world at her event currently. That's not exactly bad, they just don't give you a medal for that. And Tebow is currently a second string quarterback who is also on the kickoff return squad. Deal with a little reality.

#6.5 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:32 AM EDT

Bottom line is she got beat... Now she is crying and making excuses. If the "media" did this to her, she should have proved them wrong. Sometimes you just have to rise above the bull*hit. She did not!

#6.6 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:35 AM EDT

Lolo, if you want to stay focused on your event, why are you posting personal things about your life on twitter? Why are you doing commercials? Posing naked? You were a GOOD story, and you knew it. People (media included) were pulling for you!

It's a shame that you lash out when the race doesn't go your way.

#6.7 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 12:00 PM EDT

I agree with your post but what naked photos, as far as I've read, she hasn't done that yet but it is still an option now that she posted 4th place and if she still wants to do a spread layout...I'm sure she'd attract attention.

#6.8 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:00 PM EDT

She posed naked in a 2009 ESPN photo spread.

#6.9 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 2:39 PM EDT

Yea...but most football players whine about that sort of thing, but he doesn't so much about personal stuff.

#6.10 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 3:06 PM EDT

Tim never cried about anything....

He should, he SUCKS! Suck it up LOLO, you lost and you just arent good enough to win in London. Get ovber it. Time for a new career. Now lets get back to the REAL winners, you know, the ones that actually MEDALED!

#6.11 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 3:50 PM EDT

Skin seems a bit thin there, lolo. If you're going to be in the public eye, get used to it. Let your accomplishments speak for themselves.

Reply#7 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:16 AM EDT

Thats the problem all the media is talking about is her looks and not her record. unless the media starts talking about her records no one will know what they are.

as for her going around talking about them,, no she shouldn't have to. the media would find a way to make her look self centered and selfish.

#7.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:45 AM EDT

Still, I think the "Anna Kournikova" comment by the media is a cheap shot.... Remember these athletes have fought, ate, and slept the last four years (some longer), with nothing but dedication to their event.....it has to hurt when those who should have been their fans and supporters lower themselves to this level of banter....

#7.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:03 AM EDT

The media has no obligation to be fans and supporters - in fact, that would be biased reporting. Just the facts, ma'am. And if reporting opinions, make sure they are quotes, and not the reporters'/editors' opinions.

However, 4th place in the Olympics is no mean feat - definitely highest tier of world athletic competition. At this level, the psychology of competition is probably more crucial than technique and conditioning. These athletes need to find a way to avoid all comments (good and bad), or have rhino skin to shed them. Maybe a self-imposed 30-day-before-competition quarantine from the media and public would help.

Regardless of the medal outcome, she can rake in megabucks with endorsements, if properly marketed. She should be proud to excel after spinal surgery - many people never walk again after that, and very few would be brave enough to run hurdles.

#7.3 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:42 AM EDT

@Texson55, I agree with you partially that comparing Lolo to Anna Kournikouva is a cheap shot as Anna is much sexier and more beautiful and I'm happy to have met in person at a tennis event. She didn't last long but she sure was marketed well. Lolo has done that for herself and probably knows her limitations at swimming so now she can sell at least her image or body in magazines of her choice and in movies after she loses her virginity as she so chooses. I'd view either as while she ain't no Anna or Olympic winner, she has a body worth investigative critiques. Hope to see more of her soon when she needs to pay the bills.

#7.4 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:07 PM EDT

Artie...

She was planning on paying those bills with the residual checks from the 'Wheaties' cereal box covers...ain't happening now. That's why she's crabbing about the media now. A week ago she couldn't wait to open the door for the next reporter & cameraman.

#7.5 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 5:06 PM EDT

Lolo creates the drama, and then doesnt like how it unfolds.

She fed the media before the Olympics, and then didn't like how things turned out.

Instead of being "broken hearted" she lost, she should be thrilled she made the Olympics, and did as well as fourth. Finishing fourth doesn't mean she is no good, there is too much obsession with winning, as though anything else was a waste of time.

Especially in sprints, a lot of things have to go right to win a medal, it doesn't mean that another race another time, things wouldn't turn out differently. These athletes all peak at different times in a season and in a life, and so to expect that they will peak at just the right time is expecting a lot.

Reply#8 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:16 AM EDT

"Too much obsession with winning"??? What the hell do you think the Olympics are, Bill? In many countries, this makes or breaks you as a citizen in any kind of standing. Yes, there is very much riding on whether they win or lose....maybe not so much in America, but the passion is still there....try to "walk in their shoes" for just a moment before passing judgement...

#8.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:07 AM EDT

No I don't feel sorry for her. Maybe if she would STFU about other stuff, maybe she wouldn't have been built up (like others as if they are the only ones in a sport) and maybe they wouldn't have had all that attention on them.

#8.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:59 AM EDT

Jones problem was/is she presented herself as a woman with "old fashion" morals. The male US swimmer who came out stating he only has one night stands, and his mother confirmed his statement is not criticised. Jones is the one who should be getting promoted to the public. Hopefully some companies will step forward, and have her as a spokes woman for there products.

Reply#9 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:17 AM EDT

Don't think she'll be the spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood or birth control products.

#9.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:44 AM EDT
                        0123456789Deleted

That's what really pisses you people off, isn't it?----her living a chaste and moral life, whereas, you couldn't (and then called it a "choice"). That's truly pathetic.

#9.3 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:10 AM EDT

hamper pete that is not true. The media did talk about his one night stand thing and Dr. Ruth was pissed. I don't have a problem with Lolo being a virgin, there is a way to say it and a way not to say it. And if she is so damn chaste, why did she pose nude?

#9.4 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 12:01 PM EDT

People who live a chaste life don't go on TV and brag about it. I can't think of a place where you can bring up the fact that you're a virgin. How does that even come up in a conversation? Lolo, is just looking for attention. And I seriously doubt she's a virgin.

#9.5 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:09 AM EDT

i watched the prelims, I watched the race. Get over yourself LoLo. The two americans were clearly faster in both prelims and actual. The Aussie was clearly the fastest of all. I hope LoLo fades into the sunset, i am tired of her cover story. We all have hard times honey. also 4th fastest in the world is pretty good.

Reply#10 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:18 AM EDT

I hope Gibson347794(squared) Which is just like their head, needs to fade into the sunset. Your an armchair Olympic viewer and nothing more, you should just watch and enjoy and keep your negative comments to your own family reunion.

#10.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 12:16 PM EDT

Michael Phelps smokes herbal medicine and wins 17 GOLD medals.

Lolo makes everyone make a big deal about how she's remaining a virgin and loses by one tenth of a second.

Clearly, you don't have to be a rocket scientist (or a Christian Scientist) to figure this one out!

Reply#11 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:27 AM EDT

The fact that you think "pot" is actually "herbal medicine" show where you're coming from.....maybe you oughta put that bong down and let your head clear for a while before attempting to comment...

#11.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:13 AM EDT

Texson55 your so spot on, thank you. As for The Randolph Vances on this site, it is quite clear to those of Moral Character to see through those without. It is quite obvious to those with caring, compassion, and love to see the Evil, hatred and disgust that you have for ..."good".

Your so wrapped in self worth and disgust for good that you can't even see the truth. I feel sorry for you Randolph Vance and all that believe in your point of view.

#11.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 12:23 PM EDT

I seriously doubt Phelps smoked "herbal medicine" as part of his Olympic training.

#11.3 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 6:52 PM EDT

Pontiac, for heaven's sake, PLEASE learn some proper grammar. It's "You're", not "Your", when you mean to say "You are". You might have some more credibility with the rest of us with your conservative rants. Obviously, you are a product of America's epic failure of an educational system.

Since conservatives favor cuts in education...this is what they get. At the same time, they want to hide that fact as they brag about "American Exceptionalism"...despite the fact that India and China are kicking our asses in math and science while we text, play video games, and insult our athletes when they don't bring home a gold.

#11.4 - Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:31 PM EDT

Man, this girl has more excuses than a person facing a judge! She needs to just accept that in spite of her hard and sacrificial training, she still didn't win. It happens. Blaming the media and falling back on surgery and stuff is pathetic, childish and self-centered.

"Get over yourself girl", is what I'd say to her if I could.

Reply#12 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:32 AM EDT

Her 15 minutes is now up! She had her chance and it just wasn't meant to be....so move on! No medal ..no talky!

Reply#13 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:33 AM EDT

All this from fat slobs who never got off the couch. Jealous much?

Reply#14 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:38 AM EDT

If Lolo wasn't as pretty as she is, she wouldn't have had the notice nor the pressure that comes along with it. In the end, she will land on her feet, get signed for endorsements and be fine. The fact is, the world tends to reward beauty above performance.

Actually Jessica Ennis of the UK had the same issue, but she kicked butt.

Reply#15 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:38 AM EDT

Non medal winners get zero endorcements. I will be amazed if she gets even one! And oh by the way Jessica Ennis got a gold medal. NoNo got none!

#15.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:43 AM EDT

Lolo had endorsements BEFORE the Olympics, because she cooperated with the media.

#15.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:56 AM EDT

Wow ..really..i didn't know that....boy those marketing people who made those deals won't be with those companies any longer....they will get da boot! and rightly so. Who makes endorsement deals before people actaully win something? Very strange.

#15.3 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:13 AM EDT

Sure she will. Maybe it will just be Cover Girl or Maybelline instead of Nike. Companies crave positive role models they can market their not so positive products to young people with. LoLo Jones is perfect. She has the fitness, the look and enough racial ambiguity to appeal to a broad market. Lack of a medal hurts, there is no question, but a year or two from now, nobody but the fans of the sport will remember who got the Bronze in the 100 meter hurdles.

#15.4 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:18 AM EDT

I agree Mikcan that Jessica Ennis is absolutely a marketing goldmine in the UK. She is the whole package.

#15.5 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:19 AM EDT

Anna Kournikova made more money than the rest of them combined, and never won a major tournament, the other women called her the "blonde cash machine".

#15.6 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:33 AM EDT

"The fact is, the world tends to reward beauty above performance."

I don't know, Falstaffmind, Serena is ALL performance, but she looks like a drag queen as well---not to mention she has more testosterone working for her than most guys down at the gym.... I don't think everyone is all about looks... Maybe Lolo's problem is that with "blue/grey eyes"....she doesn't fit the normal black profile (Halle Berry said she had the same problem while growing up)....just sayin...

#15.7 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:18 AM EDT

Texan, I think these days, a bit of racial ambiguity tends to broaden appeal. LoLo reminds me of Rashida Jones from Parks and Rec. I bet her male following is about as diverse and huge as you can imagine. LoLo has the same universal appeal.

As for Serena... she is certainly a great performer, but her beauty is of a different variety. She is flat out built. Those curves don't appeal to everyone, but they certainly appeal to many.

If I was advising LoLo, I would tell her to immediately end the pity party. Instead just gush about the opportunity to represent the United States, participate in the Olympics, praise England and explain how you want to work with youth athletics.

One thing worth pointing out... we are all stll talking about LoLo and not the people who finished ahead of her.

#15.8 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:44 AM EDT

Mikcan you must really live in another world. You make a comment that it is strange to get an endorsment before they actually win something. You must be kidding right? Let's see Bill Clinton got an endorsment for his book before leaving office and yet he was Impeached, Obama has been endorsed before proving himself and yet he is, and has failed immensly, he has been endorsed his whole life and has nothing to show for it but failed polices and failed beliefs of the American way of life, jimmie Carter was endorsed for a Library before leaving office but yet he is on record as one of the most failed Presidents in history, ( Obama) to follow. So we have a lot of endorsements with failures attached to them don't we? Of course you would never be able to understand this so I am posting it mainly for those who can see the B. S. for what it is and not be afraid to call it B.S. as opposed to you liberals you try to put a FAKE spin on everything bad and then Knock down everything good.

#15.9 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 12:38 PM EDT

Lolo should ignore the negative and accentuate the positive. She is beautiful, talented, and hard-working. There is nothing for her to be ashamed about; she can hold her head up high. Unfortunately, there are those who enjoy watching from the sidelines and sniping at others who have the guts to step up and compete. I know that she has a "broken heart", but she should be resilient and focus on the positives of reaching the Olympic final and running her best time of the year.

Although it is disappointing to lose in the Olympics, Lolo obviously has reason to continue competing. Who knows? She could reach her personal goals at the next World Championships. My advice: Keep training and competing as long as it's a passion, and don't judge your self-worth by wins and losses. There is value in fast times, and in simply doing your best.

Reply#16 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:39 AM EDT

The media is mostly a bunch of bigoted losers with no athletic talent or skills. Their opinion is highly overated. They are losers....

Reply#17 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:40 AM EDT

Well said, there is no such thing a covering a story with out putting their own personal spin on it, their opinions are their opinions and we are all tired of it. The media makes the US look bad by continually putting out stories that focus on issues that should not even be in the news.

#17.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:47 AM EDT

Oh make no mistake, if the main stream media sees someone with morals or even worse, morals with a Christian foundation, they will make every attempt to tear you down.

Reply#18 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:42 AM EDT

Whatever happened to the courage of one's convictions? If you believe in what you're doing, why do you need affirmation? Why do you give a rhodent's rectum what anyone else thinks or says?

#18.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:58 AM EDT

Well, I think Lolo does have "courage and conviction".....hence, mentioning her "virgin" status in hopes of encouraging young women to do the same......and then look what the media did to her!

#18.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:23 AM EDT

Well said and so true. Now what do we do about it?

#18.3 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 12:40 PM EDT

Texson, if Lolo's got so much courage, she could take the heat without whining. This isn't Job we're talking about here!

#18.4 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:32 PM EDT

scr3w the media. Those that can't do teach, those that cant teach consult, those that can't consult are reporters

Reply#19 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:42 AM EDT

The behavior of the media for the most part is disgraceful. They are bottom feeders who will do anything to get a story and destroy anyone in the process.

Reply#20 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:46 AM EDT

Right on, Carlos!

#20.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:24 AM EDT

Carlos, you are right however when you play with fire you will get BURN!!!!

#20.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 11:44 AM EDT

When you set yourself up to succeed in the media....if you don't then they will be ripped to shreds. That's the way it works. If you didn't know that...you know it now.

Reply#21 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:48 AM EDT

Lola, great job, and don't let a leftist liberal media bother you. They have their agenda to damage anyone who succeeds. It is a shame our communist media coverage makes the USSR media of the fifties look honest. Good luck on your future!

Reply#22 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:55 AM EDT

Lolo used the media to gain fame and some fortune. She is one of the few athletes to have endorsements before the games. We never heard of the other runners in her sport, but we heard of Lolo because she cooperated with the media before the Olympics. She didnt have to do the interviews, or tell people she was a virgin.

Once she feeds the media, she should realize she loses control of the story, and they may not always write what she likes. She should have been smart enough to realize this beforehand.

Reply#23 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:55 AM EDT

Well, she did bring it on herself with all her self promotion. She didn't back it up on the track....no surprise to me. Just "another pretty face". She needs to just fade away. Her 15 minutes are up.

Reply#24 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:55 AM EDT

With all the training that goes into preparing for an olympic event you are obnoxious for making a comment like that, you need to just fade away and slither back under your rock.

#24.1 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:40 AM EDT

When you go to the media and you put your personal business out on the street (I'm a virgin and a christian) you will open yourself up to more scrutiny especially when you pose nude whether it was in good taste or not in a couple of magazines. Keep your sexual and religious status to yourself. Now if someone asks you about your God then you can witness to them but to tell the whole world I'm a Christian and I'm a Virgin is a cry for attention to me. I have no problem with you using your beauty to get ahead. People do it everyday but it's a problem when all of this attention is given to you with no Olympic medals to show for it.

Nobody cares about the American Records you hold. The Olympics is the ultimate event and you failed so you have to be ready for the backlash that comes with it. The two American ladies who did medal (Wells & Harper) should be given credit for their accomplishments. Don't sit up here and play the victim because you can't take the criticism. Your beauty is a gift and a curse and you have to be ready to handle both with grace and class.

#24.2 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:17 PM EDT

she is good looking but she does back it up; you can't win every meet you enter; you DID read the part about her being the American record holder...right???

#24.3 - Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:47 PM EDT

quit your whining Lolo. its the media. nuff said. if i was in the spotlight, i wouldnt read or even care what the media writes or thinks.

Reply#25 - Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:56 AM EDT