Ryan Lochte: Mom meant 'nothing negative' about my love life

Jorge Silva / Reuters

Days after his mom, Ike, told TODAY.com her son "goes out on one-night stands," Ryan Lochte clarified what she was really trying to say about his love life.

"I know what she meant by it," he told us. "What she meant is that I'm not in a relationship so I do go on dates. It's not that negative part....She had nothing negative."

We feel you, Ryan! Sometimes mom-speak needs translating.

The gold medal-winning swimming star addressed another burning question: Just how many shoes out of his collection of 130 did he pack for London?

"I brought a total of eight pairs," he said.

For his visit to the TODAY set, Ryan also brought along his world-famous set of red, white and blue grillz. Should we stay tuned for a potential line of Lochte dental wear? A signature collection of grillz could happen, he said, "maybe in my near future."

More: Ryan Lochte's mom: He's too 'on the go' for girlfriend
Lochte: 'I'm going another four years' to Rio
Lochte: 'I want a stare-off with Phelps'
Check out all of TODAY.com's London Olympics coverage here!

what his mom meant was that he doesn't have the time to commit to a real relationship that requires time and commitment.

Reply#1 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 11:11 AM EDT

Nobody knows what his mom meant. And it's nobody's business...but his and his mom's.

#1.1 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 11:36 AM EDT

some people take it the wrong way as if she's encouraging him to having a one night stand - but it's basically about the time commitment issue.

#1.2 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 11:58 AM EDT

He's older then Phelps..and Phelps is retiring??? Guess in 2016 we will depend on Franklin at 17 now and that 15 year old who just won a gold at the 800m. Be the ladies in 2016 no doubt...for most USA medals!

At 32 be hard to do..not impossible..but hard to do.

#1.3 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 3:40 PM EDT

Thats mom-speak for "I want grandkids." :)

#1.4 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 4:41 PM EDT

I read what she originally said. The interesting part was that she apparently had no problem with her son having "one night stands". It must really be cool to have a mom who discusses your sex life in public Also, by going public with such remarks this woman tossed the subject into the public domain. I have a feeling that Ryan Lochte will be locking mom up somewhere for awhile after all of this. Instead of Lochte's genuine achievement being discussed, his sex life has become the talk of the town. I think sponsors do not want to find themselves in another Tiger Woods situation, so this could hurt Lochte's post-athletic career somewhat. Time to stick mom in a nursing home!

#1.5 - Sun Aug 5, 2012 5:24 AM EDT

Don't see why all the hype on Lochte - Phelps is obviously the better athlete

#1.6 - Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 PM EDT

Your private life should be private and full of Life. Congratulations on the Gold! I wish continued success. But...Ryan, get rid of the grill. Consider E-Bay...

Reply#2 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 11:21 AM EDT

This guy has the attitude that Michael Phelps has earned but doesn't have.

Reply#3 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 11:56 AM EDT

I like it when he told some he going to stare down Phelps..un-huh..in your dreams pal!

#3.1 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 3:44 PM EDT

What is up with that grillz thing? It looks like hell and it makes him look like an idiot. What a stupid thing to do. He has a nice smile and nice teeth. Why make it look like you are wearing braces? What a nut.

Reply#4 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 11:57 AM EDT

Grilz are just a fad. Trevon Martin wore one, and some people have used his flashing it on his face book page as proof that he was a thug. So is our olympic champion a thug too? (NOT!)

It is just a harmless fad. Like black leather jackets, blue suede shoes, blues brothers' dark glasses, bell bottom trousers, tattoos, crew cuts, afros, converse hightop sneakers, mood rings, navel piercings and all the rest.

I agree, grill look pretty bad, but so what. But, my parents' thought that the fads of my generation were pretty un attractive, (and dumb) and my grand parents probably thought the same about my folks. Complaining about something this silly only invites the label of old foggy to the complainer.

(PS, I'm in the same boat, I'm just a closeted old foggy)

#4.1 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 12:33 PM EDT

He is a cutie, isn't he? Oh, to be 20-something again....

Ok, I guess what I really mean is..... Oh, to look 20-something again...

#4.2 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 5:16 PM EDT

He sounds like an a idiot when he speaks and looks like a bigger idiot with a grill in his mouth. Doesn't say a lot for a grown man, but I am glad he won gold for the USA.

#4.3 - Sat Aug 4, 2012 5:03 PM EDT

Grills are for douche bags.

Reply#5 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 12:36 PM EDT

I like his grill. You just have to understand it. It's not like he wears it to a business meeting or out on dates or anything! It's just a fun thing for a young guy to wear while at the same time show his patriotism in a new and modern way; the way HIS generation understands. I get the feeling that the people that don't like it are from a different generation. He obviously likes it and it's HIS decision to wear it! Besides, it's not just a bunch of diamonds, or a mouth full of gold. It's the American flag, so just relax people........

Reply#6 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 12:38 PM EDT

Why not. Kids think braces are status symbols at school now. Go figure.

#6.1 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 4:43 PM EDT

It's classless - and makes him look like an idiot. It's doesn't take being of that generation to like it, it takes having a brain to know it that it is downright stupid.

#6.2 - Sat Aug 4, 2012 5:06 PM EDT

He looks ridiculous....what a waste of money!

#6.3 - Mon Aug 6, 2012 12:25 PM EDT

I know this is the communication age but really. People should just shut up some times. They share way too much.

Reply#7 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 12:39 PM EDT

mom pimping for the kid???????

EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply#8 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 12:41 PM EDT

not sure who has the more arrested devolopment------------- mom or the kid.

if any moms knows that much about her kids love life, well, there is a word for that. and it isn't very nice.

may i suggest the kid grow a pair(finally) and cut the strings/cord or whatever!!

if he can?? that is.

if now, when?

Reply#9 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 12:44 PM EDT

MOM: ''well. did you bag her????? well, did ya, did ya????''

perhaps the word ' enmeshed ' might be worth looking up.

Reply#10 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 12:47 PM EDT

MOM: '' he is too on the go, for a girlfriend. "

TRANSLATION: besides, he has Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply#11 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 12:53 PM EDT

Paul-

Do you know the Lochte family personally? You are projecting weird stuff on them without cause IMHO. He spends all his time training for his swimming so he can excel.I don't think you have a leg to stand on with those inane comments.

#11.1 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 2:22 PM EDT

I agree with Lorieann.

Paul, your comments are kind of weird. Lots of people still live with their folks, especially if they are training. How else are you going to be able to afford this kind of life?

Not everyone can be Ann Romney. and we do not live in a communist country where the government goes out and selects kids with potential, and then grooms and supports them from cradle to podium. Many of these athletes are even coached by their folks. Think of the captain of Men's gymnastic team, The Williams sisters in tennis. The Japanese woman's weight lifter who took silver with her dad right there.

An who hasn't fallen victim to "Mom speak" I thought it was kind of charming (well embarrassing and charming). I wish my mom was still around to say embarrassing things...
              Anyway, and I thought that he handled it aw well as he could.
              Gotta love moms!

#11.2 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 2:37 PM EDT

Mom just meant he's too busy for a relationship. Yes, it did not come out right, so what! She was not pimping her son. It's not weird for a mother to know that her olympian son doesn't have time for a relationship... it should be common knowledge that he's pretty busy training.

Reply#12 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 1:04 PM EDT

Mommy's code word for her boy is 'Gay'...

Reply#13 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 2:12 PM EDT

If i wanted to watch foreigner's trying to outrun each other against Americans.

I would move to Arizona, California or Texas.

Reply#14 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 2:22 PM EDT

wow frank...your racism is showing.

#14.1 - Mon Aug 6, 2012 10:45 AM EDT
                    Comment author avatarPat Karlsrudvia Facebook

Too old and handsome for the grill. I think I know what his Mom meant but why is she discussing this.

Reply#15 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 2:40 PM EDT

Hey, these are his Olympics. Just leave him be.

Reply#16 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 3:13 PM EDT

It was a slip of the tongue. Still it was funny. People knew what she meant, it just came out wrong.

Reply#17 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 4:05 PM EDT

I'm sorry but I thought this was HILARIOUS! I seriously can't imagine his mother meant "one night stands" in the same sense that others interpret that phrase. Some folks here have to lighten up a bit and see the humor in an innocent, if not poorly worded, comment made by a doting mother. Leave it at that.

Reply#18 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 5:14 PM EDT