Ryan Lochte's mom: He's too 'on the go' for girlfriend

Martin Bureau / AFP - Getty Images

Ike Lochte is a strong and emotional supporter of her son’s competitive lifestyle, but she says Ryan is too busy to commit to a girlfriend.

“He goes out on one-night stands,” she told TODAY.com. “He’s not able to give fully to a relationship because he’s always on the go.”

Update: Lochte clarifies his mom's comments

The swimmer celebrates his 28th birthday this Friday, Aug. 3, but Ike says the family will celebrate him on Saturday after he is freed up from competing. His 4x200 freestyle relay swim airs Tuesday night on NBC.

Lochte’s mom, along with the family clan, was on the TODAY set to chat with Matt Lauer about Ryan’s performance so far this Olympics. “Everything he has done has been to the max,” Ike said. “He’s unique, loving, and he challenges himself all the time.” Ryan likely gets much of his drive from his own parents, both of whom were swim coaches. Ike says the best trait he inherited from her is his love of kids and his awareness of his position and his fans.

The swimmer uses Twitter to show his love to fans, re-tweeting and updating his admirers. Monday night he thanked them: “GOODNIGHT #LochteNation & thank u for being the best fans. Always said it b4 & I'll say it forever.. I wouldn't be anything without u.”

As for Ike, she’s not on Twitter, but she sends words of encouragement to her son via text when she’s not with him. Before he competes, she keeps her message simple: “I say, have fun, and I love you,” she said.

Sarika Dani is a TODAY.com editor in London. No lie: She has the same birthday as Ryan Lochte.

More:

Phelps rival writes his own headline: 'Ryan Lochte takes over'
Fashion lover Ryan Lochte has 130 pairs of shoes
Ryan Lochte to Vogue: 'I'm a coach's nightmare'
Olympic moms on supporting star athletes
Ad gives Olympic (and regular) moms their due

Congrats to Lochte...and am thinking maybe Mom was searching for a phrase for someone who is dating around rather than "one night stand?" Pretty funny.

Reply#1 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:42 PM EDT

Ya think??? How about the good old "playing the field" Mom??

#1.1 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:01 PM EDT

I hope someone told Mom what a one night stand is. He is such a hottie and a comment like that will bring in girls that she would not want for her son. Still, it is funny.

Reply#2 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:55 PM EDT

A "hottie"? How old are you? Do your parents know your posting online? He's about as mu a "hottie" as Tom Arnold.....................get a life in this realm!

#2.1 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:11 PM EDT

Oh yes he's a hottie! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who raised an eyebrow (or 2) at Mom's statement..... really??? You're okay with that? LOL

#2.2 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:51 PM EDT

Sounds like something my overprotective mother used to say about me to discourage boys. She might want to rethink her phrasing, though, if she expects it to work...

Reply#3 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:06 PM EDT

Yes, she is obviously wants sonny boy all to herself, I feel sorry for anyone willing to be the one night stand, but who knows, he probably is a conceited player and only wants women for one thing, but he will get his in due time, these type of guys will fall hard and hopefully get their just reward by the girl dumping him. SHAME on MOMMA LOCHTE.

#3.1 - Thu Aug 2, 2012 9:57 AM EDT

The Olympics used to be about our heroes making us proud; about sportsmanship; and playing by the rules. Lochte is the antithesis of ALL of this and acts like a spoilt child. Between he and Phelps, there hasn't been a low to this level in the last two games. He's a tantrum-throwing, arrogant punk who prizes himself above anyone else. In other words, if the barn is on fire and you're depending on this guy to save you, start taking your pain meds because he'll save himself before anyone else. And his mom: Hey, Ike, he's not "too on the go for a girlfriend" (whatever that means), he's too self-absorbed to love anyone else. I doubt this guy has ever done anything out of conviction, only necessity. Keep praising him folks, I want to see what happens to him. Oh, and "tempusfugit1", wtf are you talking about? Do you really care?

Reply#4 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:08 PM EDT

A "hottie", "one-night stands", and "Ryan's performance" all in one article - and from his MOTHER!!! Talk about a strange relationship......................wtf?! I think the metal in his grill probably came from mom's first hip replacement. Always nice to taste a piece of "home" .

#4.1 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:33 PM EDT

FritzNH - thank god I am not the only one that thinks Lochte sucks. Everytime that guy opens his mouth I want to tell him to just shutup and swim. He reeks of self-absorbed white trash.

#4.2 - Wed Aug 1, 2012 11:14 AM EDT

You are so right, he is a jerk who thinks it is cool to have diamonds instead of teeth, is he flouting his wealth or just a white rapper in the water. This MOMMA"S BOY needs some good women to teach him respect and not give him anymore one night stands, and hopefully that will be the case since all the ladies now know what he is after and that he is a big momma's boy. She is a jerk too making statements like that ,but then again, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. !!!

#4.3 - Thu Aug 2, 2012 10:02 AM EDT

Mom, have you seen his closet, it's pretty impressive; he may not be out for a while.

Reply#5 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:19 PM EDT

Yikes - I thought I was the only one who thought that.

#5.1 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 4:42 PM EDT

Something you never want to hear your mother say about you, "He (or she) goes out on a lot of one night stands"... On another note, WOWZA! I need to be watching the swimming competitions.

Reply#6 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:47 PM EDT

Wow lady, could you be more blunt? Saying he doesn't have enough time for a girlfriend would have been more than enough without revealing he's promiscuous (at least that's what she implied with such a statement), which is something he may have wanted to keep private.

Reply#7 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:22 PM EDT

"One night stands"? You mean your son has a talent for using women to satisfy himself and then discarding them? Wow, you have raised some man. Thanks for warning us...

#7.1 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:01 PM EDT

Yes, he is a self absorbed little spoiled boy, in reality , medals or not, just because he is a good swimmer doesn;t make him a nice person, obviously he has no respect for women and Mommy dearest wants to keep the boy all to herself, well, she can have him !!

#7.2 - Thu Aug 2, 2012 10:05 AM EDT

ROFL. Too "on the go." Hmmhmmm.

Reply#8 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:34 PM EDT

There may be another reason why he has no girlfriend...

Quotes Lochte as saying: "My last Olympics, I had a girlfriend -- big mistake," Lochte says. "Now I'm single, so London should be really good. I'm excited."

and

.... How much sex? "I'd say it's 70 percent to 75 percent of Olympians," offers world-record-holding swimmer Ryan Lochte, who will be in London for his third Games. "Hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do."

Reply#9 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:42 PM EDT

Not sure why my link is not working. There is an article at ESPN... you can find a link at huffingtonpost if you google search olympic village sex fest

#9.1 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:52 PM EDT

Hello FritzNH, I clicked on your name not knowing what would happen and it took me to your prior posts. Wow fella, they all have one thing in common -- bellyaching, whining, complaining, nitpicking and finding the lamest of excuses to verbally attack someone. If a female wishes to use the word "hottie" to describe Ryan, what business or concern is it of yours?!? But you couldn't stop there. No, not FritzNH! You had to inform her that her opinion that he is good looking is WRONG! You've got nerve, I'll say that much. But to tell someone in an unkind manner that her own personal opinion of someone's looks is wrong because you don't happen to find the same person attractive, is about as ludicrous as it gets. I'd tell you what my favorite movie is, but if it wasn't YOUR favorite, I'm fairly confident that you'd give me an ear full regarding how dumb my choice is, and that the movie that YOU happen to like best is far and away superior to my silly choice. You must be a real fun guy to be around. Friends knocking your door down to spend quality time with you? Or are you one of those in a perpetual pity party? Someone who isn't happy unless they're miserable, AND making others miserable as well?? I also see that you seem to know a great deal about people that you don’t know or have never met, like Ryan just as one example. You apparently have been his shrink for the last couple of years because you’ve graced us with a full psychological profile of the man. I’m thinking it’s more likely that you’re merely jealous of his success, and just generally enjoy running other people down because it elevates you, in your own mind of course. How is THAT for a quick psychological profile?? I’m nowhere near as good as you are, but not too bad considering that you’ve only been my instructor for a very short time. You aren’t by any chance contemplating going on some sort of violent rampage are you? You seem like a VERY ANGRY person. Doesn’t take a professional to detect that! A couple of minutes devoted to reading your consistently hostile posts is all it takes. I don’t know what your situation is obviously, and I have no desire to make light of it, whatever it might be. But if this is how you vent/purge your anger, than so be it. Sure is preferable to torturing small animals, or worse! Hang in there, and try to look on the bright side now and then. Maybe even consider saying something positive and encouraging every once and a while. I think you’ll discover that it’s actually quite therapeutic.

Best wishes!

Reply#10 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:03 PM EDT

Lotta free time, Nikkofly? Christ, if I had time to write a dissertation every time I came across someone's opinion I didn't like, I'd find a way to get paid for it. Any way, thanks for the kind words - I'll buy some Kleenex at the PX to wipe my tears. Toodles!

Reply#11 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 PM EDT

A couple of years ago, Ryan was asked to present medals at a PNS championship meet. Not only did he present the kids with their medals, he stayed for the entire meet, cheered on the swimmers, and signed autographs and took pictures with every child (or parent) who wanted one. He will always be a hero in my book.

Reply#12 - Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:24 PM EDT

For some reason, I am reminded of Greg Louganis.

Reply#13 - Wed Aug 1, 2012 1:05 AM EDT

That's what you need, a mommy talking

up your sex life.

Reply#14 - Wed Aug 1, 2012 7:56 AM EDT

I think Mom is more comfortable thinking her boy will never have a meaningful relationship with any other woman but her. Ewww..... too much information! Would have loved to have just thought of him as an olympic athelete rather than a predator! Thanks a lot Mom, for letting everyone know what kind of boy you raised.

Reply#15 - Thu Aug 2, 2012 10:12 AM EDT

you people are pathetic....haters never prosper...don't be so jealous. When you got it, you got it!

Reply#16 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 7:49 AM EDT

What is sad is he will probably never be able to 'be straight' with the world...:( If only people of his stature would loose their fear and be open, it would go a long way....

Reply#17 - Fri Aug 3, 2012 2:12 PM EDT

The sex lives and the purported/manufactured personas of America's beloved athletes seem to be making headlines more often than their actual on field achievements. Perhaps this portrays the shift in the media's goals to shape these sports stars into promiscuous sex objects rather than role models.
                                In other words welcome to the gladiator with a tawdry history worthy of Lindsay Lohan's applause…

Reply#18 - Sun Aug 5, 2012 1:51 PM EDT

Such BS His "mom" if you call her that, which I wouldn't even claim her as my own with a comment like that, is a disgrace to all.. P & G should wash their hands of her, I will never buy another product from them with her involved. She is NOT a role model for anyone........ nor the rest of her humiliating entoruage..shameful humanbeings, no wonder she was fired from so many jobs(which noone hears about)

Reply#19 - Tue Sep 4, 2012 1:44 PM EDT