Olympian Lolo Jones, 29, is staying a virgin until marriage

By Us Weekly

Lolo Jones' journey to the Olympics hasn't been easy but it's been easier than finding a husband!

The 29-year-old Olympic track and field star revealed on Twitter she's a virgin and further explained why in Tuesday night's interview with HBO's Real Sports .

PHOTOS: Celebs who love athletes

"It's just something, a gift that I want to give to my husband," she said. "But please understand this journey has been hard. If there's virgins out there, I just want to let them know, it's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Harder than training for the Olympics, harder than graduating from college, has been to stay a virgin before marriage."

But she's had plenty of offers!

Alexandra Wyman / Getty Images for ESPY

She'd rather wait: US track athlete Lolo Jones says she'll stay a virgin until she's married.

"I've been tempted. I've had guys tell me, they're like, 'Hey you know if you have sex it will help you run faster,' " Jones joked. Her response? "If you marry me, then yeah."

PHOTOS: Biggest star sex tape scandals

And the athlete, who is competing for gold at the London Games this summer, decided to make her virginity public because she's tired of people asking why she's single.

"I hate talking about it but hate people saying they can't understand why I've been single so long. Explains the whole pic," she tweeted Tuesday.

Still, Jones jokes about her virginal status. One Twitter follower wrote her, "Saw a headline that said LoLo Jones 30 year old virgin. What?" She tweeted back, "I'm 29. I have a few more months before I'm the movie sequel."

PHOTOS: When stars lost their virginity

Check out 5 other things you don't know about the virgin runner.

1. She left her family to become a runner. Jones grew up with a single mother in a family of six with her father in and out of jail. "When we couldn't pay the rent, we had to move," she told the Associated Press. But she refused to move while attending Theodore Roosevelt High School in Des Moines, Iowa and instead lived with friends and their family that would take her in.

2. She tripped in the 2009 Beijing Olympics. The runner was favorite to win the 100-meter hurdles, but ended up finishing seventh after she tripped during the race.

3. She cried reading The Hunger Games. "Darn Hunger Games book had me choking up on the airplane," she tweeted. "Rue, district 11 and their crescent shaped bread."

4. She uses Twitter to find dates! Jones told HBO's Real Sports that she's tried every online dating site, but Twitter works best. "I'm waiting for the day where somebody totally tricks me with their Twitter picture. Like they're using an Abercrombie model and I show up on the date with somebody from The Biggest Loser."

5. She's posed semi-nude! The athlete disrobed for ESPN's 2009 Body Issue. "I asked the pastor at my church if he'd still let me come to church on Sunday," she joked of appearing semi-nude in the magazine.

More: Video: Olympic swimming hopefuls show off moves
Two brothers compete for one Olympic trampoline spot
Olympic hopeful Ryan Lochte to Vogue: I'm a coach's nightmare
Olympic hopefuls' moms on supporting star athletes

Jump to discussion page: 1 2 3

Again, BFDReally. . . .you might want to check your own heart. . You sound very intimidated! You seem to be under the mistaken impression that your opinion is the only one that counts. . . hmmm. . . maybe you should take up "knitting". You might find that a good release for all of that built up bitterness and resentment you seem to be clinging to.

I never even implied it wasn't "difficult being a strong woman of any other religious belief". . . .I am certain it is. It seems people love to put others down no matter what they believe or don't believe in. And for some reason you find it neccessary to express your beliefs in a hateful and sarcastic way. I am sorry for you. My convictions are my own as with everyone else on this planet. I refuse to insult you or anyone else for that. I am sorry you do not find enough security in your own personal convictions that you can remain kind and keep your sarcasm and hateful opinions to yourself.

Reply#57 - Thu May 24, 2012 12:11 PM EDT

Listen honey, I am very NOT intimidated and my heart beats to a different cause in life than you bleeding pity on some chick who keeps her legs closed. You dont know anything about my bitterness and resentment for soccer mom minivan driving closet whores like you. God will forgive you....I dont have to. Thanks for feeling sorry for me, I promise to light a candle at my next confession. As for sarcasm and hate...I spit in your general direction. Who are you to play internet match maker with people you dont even know. STFUYSMF!!!

#57.1 - Thu May 24, 2012 1:33 PM EDT

Whatever floats her boat. All of you bitching and criticizing can seriously go fck yourselves and hopefully die.

Reply#58 - Thu May 24, 2012 12:13 PM EDT

Her sex life is only her biz and no one else's but since she felt the need for a national reivew and discussion of same her lack thereof it is a quaint 50's and earlier notion to consider one's virginity a git to another party. That does not make it wrong but it is 2012. If it helps her over the hurdles fine but an even better approach would be to to keep it a private matter between Ms. Jones and her social partner. On some matters the less said the better. From a fellow Iowan.

Reply#59 - Thu May 24, 2012 12:53 PM EDT

kudos to those who respected her choice. It's her choice and a good one- our teens need to follow this- no more teen pregnancies, diseases, heartbreaks, and getting called names.

Why go through a myriad of slimy frogs - to find one prince in the end?

Reply#60 - Thu May 24, 2012 1:39 PM EDT

Kudos to those who respected her choice. It's her choice and a good one- our teens need to follow this- no more teen pregnancies, diseases, heartbreaks, being used and getting called names.

Why go through a myriad of frogs - to find one prince in the end.

Reply#61 - Thu May 24, 2012 1:46 PM EDT

You have a sick mind conducting beastiality with frogs...just sick!!

#61.1 - Thu May 24, 2012 2:34 PM EDT

I agree with you two ladies, the journalist lacks moral values, Lolo's a role model for all girls and will inspire many, she truly knows the difference between mortal and eternal and her commitment to honor God will not be unrewarded. Best to you Lolo!

Reply#62 - Thu May 24, 2012 2:57 PM EDT

I agree with your two ladies, the journalist lacks moral values, what a shame!

Lolo, you are a beautiful person inside and out, your commitment to honor God will not be left unrewarded. Best to you on the Olympics!

Reply#63 - Thu May 24, 2012 3:06 PM EDT

I was really touched by this interview of Lolo Jones. It's not every day that you hear of celebrity athletes who have chosen to live up to their religious beliefs, especially when it comes to something so sacred as sex.

It was encouraging for me to see this because as a 35 year old virgin woman, I know a bit about what Lolo is going through. I know what it's like to have guys converse with you with interest, only to turn away once they discover that you're trying to save yourself for marriage. The relationship doesn't even get off the ground. Many meaningful people come up to me wondering why I'm not married yet or at least with a boyfriend. Lolo's answer is my answer.

But that's where faith has to come in. It's about believing the Bible when it says that no good thing will be withheld from those that walk uprightly (see Psalms 84:11). I believe that God has something real special in-store for those of us women and men who want to preserve the gift that the Lord has bestowed us to bestow to one another upon marriage.

I especially believe that it's important for young people to see this story. Youth across the world look up to athletes as role models. Perhaps, that's not always the best thing to do, but the reality is that young people follow athletes even off the field. I believe that this serves as a great lesson for young females because so many of them have felt immense pressure to give away their gift in order to get into a relationship or to even keep the relationship.

Yes, people may laugh and make fun of you for standing up and doing what is right according to your faith God and the Bible, but in the end, it's possible that some may wish they had have waited themselves.

So Lolo, God Bless you, and be an example for other young people to look up to.

Reply#64 - Thu May 24, 2012 4:24 PM EDT

Reminds me of being a kid and everyone had a better way to do things than I did. I was never in my life short on advice from the experts. Later only to discover they evidently did not take their own advice. So I quit worrying about others advice and emotional feelings and just trekked my own path. Pleasantly happy, having given up the law, no longer being the judge and jury for the world morals.

I figure letting people sort their own lives will some day make them the expert on their selves and who knows giving it a rest you may even find happiness.

Reply#65 - Mon Jun 4, 2012 2:53 PM EDT

What makes this relevant to the Olympics this month?

Reply#66 - Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:04 PM EDT

I used to have a "virgin" gf once...but we used to have anal sex. Question: was she still considered a virgin? I find it EXTREMELY unlike for this woman to not have had any type of sexual intercourse.

Reply#67 - Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 PM EDT

Not sure if people realize this, but many people consider themselves a virgin even if they give/receive oral sex countless times. A former co-worker bragged that she was a virgin when she gt married at 26. I knew two guys she had given head to. Wow...what a wonderful gift for her new hubby. A girl I met last year said she was a virgin because she had only had anal and oral sex. Those were my options on date numer 2...lol. Personally, I don't consider that any "better" than a woman that has vaginal sex. You're not beating the system. We have no idea what she has or hasn't done in the bedroom. Maybe she has only been kissed...maybe not. Bottom line...does it matter? She's very attractive and a great athlete. I'm rooing for her to bring home the Gold!

Reply#68 - Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:15 PM EDT

LMAO. that was funny. So u found out on date two that she only did anal sex and was still a virgin. i would love to have seen the expression on your face.

hahaha. yes, i too hope she gets a medal soon. seems to be a nice girl.

#68.1 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 12:21 PM EDT

lol...just noticed Santana's comment. ok...I guess some of you do realize this goes on.

Reply#69 - Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:26 PM EDT

kind of like buying a car just by the paint job, isn't it...?

Kidding!! If that is her belief, I hope she stands by it, and who are we to judge? A quality role model in every way...good for her!

Reply#70 - Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:40 PM EDT

You go girl! I was a virgin til I got married too, and yes it was the hardest thing in the world, abstaining was...but it was so worth it!

Reply#71 - Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:35 PM EDT

Trust me girls, if your event is the pommel horse, having sex will make you better!

Reply#72 - Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:58 PM EDT

What kind of white people name their daughter 'Lolo?'

Reply#73 - Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 PM EDT

She should hook up with Tebow..he's probably a virgin too..

Reply#74 - Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:54 PM EDT

She probably also claims to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, and is foolish enough to think that we will believe it, too.

Reply#75 - Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:33 AM EDT

Yes, lets wait until you are naturally past your peak of sexual health.. What a dumb idiot. Must feel nice, but when its over and all said and done, it will mean NOTHING, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE DIVORCE COMES THROUGH! She is going to end up a bitter person, very bitter. Sex too early, is JUST AS BAD, as sex too late.

Reply#76 - Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:20 PM EDT

who cares if she's a virgin. her business. obviously being an Olympic athlete is something most people will never do. I'd take back my virginity to be in the Olympics today. LOL. but at the same time, you would have to be crazy in love to marry a 29 year old virgin. Sexual compatibility is important too.

But hey. She seems like a nice woman. I don't understand all the drama. It's funny. there are people that like to talk about their life as it doesn't matter to them to be honest and open... but then when they do, all the people that don't have the COURAGE to be HONEST and OPEN are the very ones creating all the drama and negativity. The only reason people need courage to be honest and open is because of all the people who are weak and feel the need to live fake, shallow, and guarded lives. You need the courage because you are punished for doing something that comes easy and natural for you.

The paradox of living in any society it seems.

Reply#77 - Thu Aug 9, 2012 12:17 PM EDT